When I am working in a real project (paid for) I have a full project roadmap, I set deadlines and I work focused in the project. But when I start some hobby project it's never finished, I'm never satisfied by its quality, why?
So far I have detected the next problems:
- I focus only in the most appealing features to me, and not in getting something working
- I can rarely invest quality time or work more than a few hours in the project
- There's no external pressure
- I use my hobby projects to experiment with new technologies, so sometimes I write the same program with different languages and/or libraries.
What should I be doing?
- I should define a minimum set of features and focus on them before jumping to more fancy and funny stuff
- I should work on my projects only when I can really invest time (vacations, weekends)
- Put deadlines and give me a prize if I make it
- Experiments are great and needed, but I should do them one by one and not try to test multiple things at the same time
What do you think? What are your tips?
See you soon.